Wollarium

Wollarium

Monday, March 31, 2014

costume design or my humble contribution to the great big world of cinema or theatre

Living in Berlin has numerous advantages, one of those is to get easily in touch with other creative people - namely in the movie or theatre business. Remember - Babelsberg is nearby. So no - I'm not a costume designer but I had the pleasure to work for some. It is, to be honest, a funny way to work and completely different from what I do normally. Let me give you an example: When someone orders a custom-made sweater in the - let's say - popular 40's style it has to look fresh, new, unused - and it is all of this, of course, since it is custom made! - and if nothing extraordinary happens it is made for eternity - means, it could be worn for years.
A sweater for a movie project usually mustn't look new but more like a well-loved and well-worn thing with a kind of patina that lends authenticity to the story - we don't always wear new shoes, trousers or coats on the street, don't we? Our most loved sweater might have some loose threads here and there or a tiny spot from yesterday's chocolate that is barely visible - that's the look that is needed for a well narrated story, right!
And - this sweater wouldn't be worn for years - it is made for one actor or actress and only for this project. With luck, it finds its way to a costume stock and will be worn by some extras later - but probably never again in a leading role or maybe never again altogether. Poor thing  (sigh ...) Anyway ....
There are some stories in here but since the Elly Beinhorn movie was on the TV yesterday let me stick to that. I always have a bit of a heart throb since I never know which part of my work will be seen in the finished project. Maybe a scene with my item is cut, shortened or deleted completely from the film. So I was glad to see that my sweater had a kind of leading role,  nearly everytime Elly was shown in her plane  - see her in her little aircraft and sneek a peak on the sleeve :) - and my crocheted 30's hat was seen in an important scene when the leading actors met for the first time. Lucky me! A little bit more about research and knitting in the next post ....

No comments:

Post a Comment